Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Get Up and Go-Go


A staple of the Washington area is the lively music scene. In the early 1980's a new genre of music titled "Go-Go" could be heard from corner to corner all throughout the city of Washington DC. Pioneered by musician Chuck Brown, Go-Go music took off with its loud percussion and energetic vibe that encouraged crowd interaction. In the mid 80's an up and coming group of musicians titled "The Junk Yard Band" incorporated buckets and traffic cones to act as their instruments due to their lack of finances. The use of "street instruments" not only uniquely changed go-go music due to its earthy tone through inexpensive material, but also provided an outlet for the lower class citizens of DC to become musicians.


Although go-go music has not sprawled further than the DC, MD, NOVA area, it has undoubtedly become a part of Washington's culture. I can recall the first time I heard go-go music in my youth. Strolling through the crowd on my way to a Redskins game I heard the catchy repetitive beat from blocks away. As I closed in on the music I saw a group of gentleman gathered in the middle of the street dancing. One musician that stood out from the rest was the man responsible for beating on several empty white buckets. After furiously beating on the buckets he would stand up and encourage the crowd to repeat the lyrics back to him. Feeling the vibe of the man dressed in an over sized t-shirt... I did what was told.


However, in recent years go-go is less common. No longer are the men and women on the corner banging on traffic cones to get a beat. No longer are the youth in poorer sections of the city finding an outlet through music. Legislation is tearing apart the go-go scene. Last year, PG County officials banned go-go music from nightclubs throughout the county due to the rise in homicides in and around the clubs. Clubs have always been a haven for criminal activity due to boisterous people; however, this crime has recently led to diminishing a cultural aspect of the city. Due to the county shutting down go-go clubs lawsuits have been filed, yet there has been no outcome. Although these clubs have been shut down, there is still a sense of hope throughout the city for go-go. Recently, I noticed many middle-aged musicians of DC are still gathering from time to time around the Nationals new baseball park to lay down the beat. For a cultural experience, head on over to the new stadium to explore DC's music scene. These artists won't disappoint you.

No comments: